Breakfast burritos are easy to make and can be filled with so many different meats, veggies, and cheeses. This variety allows us to switch up the flavor and keep this dish fun and fresh.
It doesn’t take a lot of fancy ingredients to whip up a nice brunch, so I’m so excited to share my first installment of Books and Brunch! This series will highlight some of my favorite brunch recipes that can be paired with any of my favorite book recommendations. Stay tuned every Sunday to see what I’m cooking up.
Since moving to Portland, Oregon over three years ago, I’ve grown to be quite the brunch enthusiast. Unfortunately due to our current pandemic, I haven’t been brunching as much, so I’ve had to learn to make some of my favorite dishes, hence today’s recipe. Let’s get started!
How to make the perfect breakfast burrito!
Ingredients for 4 servings
1/2 lb ground turkey sausage
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 burrito-sized tortillas
1 cup of spinach
1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup red bell pepper
optional: 1 cup shredded cheese, 1 diced avocado, 2 tablespoons aioli
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the smoked paprika, then set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the ground turkey sausage (Diestel Family Ranch is my fav) and cook until lightly browned.
- Next, add the onions and bell peppers and cook until they are tender. Now add chopped spinach and tomatoes, then reduce the heat to low.
- Slowly pour the eggs into the pan and scramble all the ingredients together until the eggs are cooked through. Transfer all ingredients to a large bowl.
- If you add any of the optional ingredients, first toss in the cheese and avocado and stir. Next add 2 tablespoons of aoili (Kraft’s Chiptole aoili is my favorite) and stir one last time before you assemble your burritos.
- Next, fill and roll each tortilla and don’t forget to tuck the edges as you go.
- Lightly coat the nonstick pan with oil, then place over medium heat. Add your burritos, seams side down and cook until the bottom is golden brown. then flip burritos over and continuing cooking for a few minutes more. Serve warm and with a berry fruit bowl if you like. Hope you enjoy!
What should we cook up next Sunday?